Monday, November 3, 2008

Call of Duty: World at War Beta

Yes, I was skeptical at first. CoD 5? Are you insane? And it's made by Treyarch, the devs of Call of Duty 3? (Which was a flop, and wasn't even released on PC) Do they expect to get any money from this thing? Well, yeah, I was told that they do expect to get a lot of money from it, and I can say that they're getting mine when it's released on the 11th of this month. Because the multiplayer beta is totally awesome, and it seems that Treyarch has really gone in the right direction with this one. Using and updated version of the CoD4 engine, WaW takes the player back to the WWII theatre, but this time in the pacific. As you can guess, it shows a bit more brutal side of the war, (not saying that the Europian theatre wasn't terrible, but this was before they banned flamethrowers) adding more of a survival horror aspect and 2 player co-op.

The advantage to the WWII theatre is the single-shot rifle, which I never really liked untill now. But now that I've played with them, I think they are a lot more fun because of the disabling single shot format. You get one chance, and after that you've gotta switch to your side-arm or run and stab everyone in sight. Don't get me wrong though, there's a lot more than single-shot rifles in this game. The armory ranges from high-powered machine guns like the BAR, and powerfull sniper rifles like the Ariskara, with a ton of SMGs and rifles in-between like the MP40 and the M1 Garand.
The Perk system works almost exactly like the one in CoD4, with the exeption that they added a few more, and you get a vehicle perk slot.
All in all, this almost feels more like a gigantic, insane, rediculously polished total-conversion mod for CoD4. It addes a few new elements, like the ability to call a pack of dogs on the enemy team, and tanks, but it just feels like the same game. Still worth my money, especially with the Co-op, but somewhat boring at times. Here's to hoping the singleplayer is good!
Sorry for the lack of picture, I might add some soon if I don't feel lazy.

What I'm playing: CoD5 MP Beta, Company of Heroes, Team Fortress 2
Games I'm into: CoD: WaW, Halo 3: Recon, Far Cry 2

No comments: